Search

Wednesday 15 April 2020

Open Space Layout at Work in My Point of View

Hello sybs, I think it’s gonna be fun if we can discuss about office room design. As you may know, different types of office layouts have different effects on employee relations and communications (Brennan, Chugh, & Kline, 2002; Hua, 2007). In addition, the development of technology has an impact to the way of build relationship between human beings and their work environment (Samani & Rasid, 2017).

Recently, open space layout comes as a popular layout concept in the name of “creativity”, “collaboration”, and “flexible” by displacing cubicles and making people more visible but in fact, when the firms switched to open offices, face-to-face interactions fell by 70%, while electronic interactions increased  (Bernstein & Waber, 2019).

On the other side, Hwang & Kim (2013); Samani, Rasid, & Sofian (2015) said that open-plan designs have been found to enhance the social interactions that contribute to creativity, even, they also decrease employees’ sense of personal control and increase the likelihood of distraction, which can affect individuals’ satisfaction with both their environment and outcomes 

Interesting.

For me, as an introvert who enjoy working in the quiteness, I'd choose to work behind a cubicle or at the private room, due to noise level at the open space. In addition, based on my experience, since I always keep my desk clean, i know exactly what i put in my desk. But sometimes, i should greet a newcomers in my desk like coffee glass, plate, paper, etc. That i don't even know how and why it comes to my desk. To be honest, those condition makes me a lil bit stress and makes my work didn’t perform well. So, I choose to move at the meeting room to work there without distruption and fully focused.

I might be enjoying the open space design, if everyone knows that we SHOULD respect to the other privacy (for ex : play music via headset, keep your volume when talking, keep the desk clean), because everybody has their own way and enjoyment to work and build relationships effectively.

No comments:

Post a Comment